Warning! This post is ultra long. Warning! This post is ultra long. Warning!
Everybody loves Friday except for everyone else who doesn't (me included). Why would anyone n dislike Fridays? Well in Malaysia, Friday is the day of terrible traffic because of several factors.
|Malaysian traffic often looks like this or worse.|
- 'Overly happy because it's the last day of work for the week' workers heading off to work in the morning. ( Fine, this occurs every day minus the happy part.)
- Our Muslim friends have prayers in the afternoon = traffic jam. (You guys face the worst of it because you have to go out to pray. Sorry bout the jams :/ )
- Friday night fever people (All you crazy happening people who go out after work to partay the night away)
|This is Wendyinkk's batik cake! So pretty! You have to check out Wendyinkk's blog tutorial, it's much clearer!|
I am fully aware that some people dislike chocolate but this one's for the rest of us who do.
Making cakes = The hassle of baking a cake and the clean up that comes with it and let's admit it, there are those cakes which turn out like an alien baby from Uranus or something.
I've probably convincingly discouraged you from trying by now. But fear not!! This no bake batik cake/hedgehog slice is so SIMPLE and FAIL PROOF. You will NOT end up with an alien baby from Uranus. I promise!
Okay enough chatter and down to getting this cake in our tummies! (There are a lot of different versions of this recipe on the web, mine is reduced sweetness so it's quite bitter)
Things you need:
- Measuring cups (if you don't have these, using a small glass cup might work)
- Baking paper ( or you can grease your container with butter/margarine)
- Container of any shape to house your cake (usually square ones are good)
- Pot and stove (if you don't have this, you probably can't make this cake...)
Ingredients ( My recipe is reduced sugar ):
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/2 to 1 cup of Milo/ drinking chocolate powder
- 1/2 cups of brown sugar (if you like things sweet you can use 1 cup)
- 125 g of butter/ margarine ( Roughly half a stick. Salted/ unsalted? Up to you.)
- 3 eggs
- 1 pkt of Marie Biscuits
Method (read to the end before doing anything):
- Put ingredients 1,2,3,4 in a pot on low heat. Mix until combined.
- Add in ingredients 5 and 6 in the same pot and stir until chocolate sauce coats your spoon. Turn heat off
For people who want a nice even pattern or if you just have OCD and need things to be neat:
- Arrange a layer of Marie biscuit to cover the base of your container
- Pour chocolate sauce to cover the biscuits. Now add another layer of biscuits and repeat this process till you finish your chocolate sauce.
- Now proceed to step 8
Alternately, if doing step 3 and 4 is too much of a hassle for you non-OCD folks:
- Simply break the Marie biscuits into halves or quarters (or just break those buggers anyhow) and chuck it all into the chocolate sauce.
- Stir to coat the biscuit pieces and pour into container.
- Push the whole mixture down with a spoon to compress it. If you used baking paper, you can fold that on top and press down WITH A SPOON because we don't want hot chocolate sauce burning your hands.
The mess on the right is what happens when you press it down
- Now chuck the container in the fridge and give yourself a pat on the shoulder.
- Do the chicken dance.
- Take a shower with your clothes on.
- Change out of your wet clothes
- Do a twirl
- Now, ONLY do step 1 to 9
- Take cake out of the fridge when you're sure it's set (It usually takes 3-5 hours but if it doesn't seem to be setting,which usually happens to me, put it in the freezer in fact leave it over night in the fridge.)
- Impress yourself , enjoy your cake and gain some weight. (Weight gaining may be optional if you don't eat it that is...)
- Wash up your saucepan, measuring cups and everything you used.
DO NOT NEGLECT THIS STEP OR YOUR PARENT'S/HOUSEMATES/PEOPLE YOU LIVE WITH ARE GOING TO BE SO ANNOYED!!!
I hope you had fun :)