Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Whimsical Wednesdays- I say Capt'n, now buy a flow'r off a poor girl

Hello everyone! It's certainly been a while now hasn't it?
Today, I was preparing some party favours for a doe party and the party's theme was regency time period. Think Pride and Prejudice and any Jane Austen novel/movie.

Regency = old times in England, ladies had governesses and men went to Eton. Pretty fancy in my opinion. I was really cracking my head over what kind of party favours to prepare and then I chanced upon this:

Not exactly recency period, but I'm pretty sure flowers were sold by poor children and the well off people would sometimes buy a small posy of flowers out of whim.

I thought it would be a good idea to give my guests cute little posies of flowers and roses was a very popular flower during the regency period because creating hybrid roses was considered a 'sport' back then and people would try to breed as many different kinds of roses.


The idea was just too cute and there is a shop near my home, which sells beautiful fake flowers for a good price.


They actually sold foam type fake flowers, which I chose over plastic and satin because they look much better compared to satin and plastic.

 Foam flowers also have this kind texture which is not as stiff as plastic yet not as soft as satin which makes it keep its form better yet still look soft.

They have a kind of natural look to them and from far away, I think they look pretty realistic :)


The stems were thin and soft wires which were easy to manipulate, but once bunched up, it made a pretty sturdy stem.

Before wrapping with florist tape
After wrapping with florist tape
Wrapping the stems with florist tape (which the store also sold) gave the posies a more polished finish as well as to prevent people from getting poked by the thin wires


 I realised much later on that I probably should not have tied the ribbon before wrapping the florist tape but, I guess it's preference.


After that I decorated each posy with organza cloth and ribbons to make it all girly and pretty. Initially, I was going to make them all the same, but then I couldn't decide how to decorate it. In the end, each posy has a different pattern. Haha!


Now pop them in a wicker basket for that rustic look and you're all set to go!

Personally, if I got flowers as a gift, I wouldn't know what to do with them, but I hope my guest like it.


Asia Colion

No comments: